Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 10: Jesus Is Better Than A Lettuce Wrap (And That's Saying a Lot!)

John 6:25-27
When they found him on the other side of the lake, they asked him, “Rabbi, when did you get here?” Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”


Have you ever noticed that food makes our world go round? It's engrained in us from the day we are born. Brennan eats every three hours, and buddy, let me tell you. He can't read a clock, but you could set your alarm by that kid. He knows exactly when it's time to eat. And that is something most of us never outgrow. My family once ended up at Canada's worst restaurant eating boiled chicken covered in english pea gravy on top of a slice of loaf bread (yes, really, that was the "chicken sandwich") because when my mother said "stop and eat", it meant NOW. Love you mom. :)


Here Jesus says that we are to yearn for Him the way we yearn for P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps. I L-U-V those lettuce wraps. I think about them in the night. I actually dream about them. I can taste that lettuce wrap right now, and it's CRUSHING me that I do not have one in hand right this very minute. There are a lot of embarrassing (and possibly illegal) things I would do to get my grubby little hands on a tasty, delicious lettuce wrap. The question is... do I want Jesus that much? Do I think about him at every hour of the day? Am I constantly longing for him? 


And the great thing about this food is that it never spoils. It's not in Huntsville where you can only get ahold of it every once in a blue moon. The restaurant never closes. It doesn't make you fat. And best of all, it's FREE. It's accessible to everyone, not just those with the right means or location or time. 


As Scarlett would say, "As God as my witness, I will never be hungry again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment