Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 1

This morning as I drove to work, I was thinking about my birthday. It's a new year - the 33rd - and it seemed like a good time to recommit, rededicate, and plan for the future. Suddenly it hit me that, for Jesus, this would be the last birthday he would celebrate here on earth. He would spend his 33rd year ministering, teaching, and preparing himself for the great sacrifice he was soon to make.

In high school and college, I would constantly ask myself, "What Would Jesus Do?" This year I won't have to ask that question. I already know. When I hold my Bible, I hold the answers in my hand. His 33rd year was his defining moment... the time when he did what he had spent the whole of his life getting ready to do. So, for me, I've decided that this must be the year. The year to stop talking and start doing. The year to go forward with purpose and conviction. The year to live like Jesus.

And so I've decided to study the last year of Jesus' life, and blog daily about what I discover. I'm scared because it's a big commitment, and because I know what I will learn is going to turn my world upside down.

Today I am heading down to the Overton Memorial Library to find some resources on the chronological history of Jesus. Over the next few days, I plan to map this thing out and get a glimpse of just where it is we'll be going.

It's going to be a personal journey, but if you want, come along. I'll need your help. And we can learn together.

No comments:

Post a Comment