Monday, September 19, 2011

Day 69: Why Time Travel Rox My Sox

Luke 10:23-24

New International Version (NIV)

 23 Then he turned to his disciples and said privately, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. 24 For I tell you that many prophets and kings wanted to see what you see but did not see it, and to hear what you hear but did not hear it.”


For those of you who don't know, I'm an aspiring author. I have (for years, actually) been working on a middle-grade novel about two super cute and wonderful kids who discover that they're time travelers. Tonight, like many nights, I've spent a couple of hours working to perfect a scene in said novel. I say that to say this: I spend lots of time thinking about time.


Maybe that's why, when I read this passage, my thoughts immediately turned to time travel. (Yes, I know, but still. They did.) How awesome would it be to get to travel back in time, to actually see these events with our own eyes? The prophets and kings that Jesus refers to... what would they have given to travel forward in time and see these events with their own eyes? Why, oh why do I not have a flux capacitor of my very own?


In effect, this is what Jesus is trying to get across to his disciples... how incredibly, amazingly, indescribably lucky they were to get to see him, walk with him, witness his marvelous works. They were about to witness the one event that would change the world forever. Everyone who ever lived before them, and everyone who ever lived after them, would long to see what they saw.


I do wish I could travel back in time. I would love to know for sure what Jesus looked like, instead of having to imagine Him. I would love to see His facial expressions when he speaks, hear the tone of his voice. 


And one day, I will. Until then, I can be grateful that God saw fit to leave his Word with us, and that I'm blessed enough to know how to read it. God is good, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment